Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ode to my future Black Lambs...

I know that I am nowhere near having little rats  (Rats is actually an endearing term - shortening of the term rugrats) or sheeplings but I know that one day I will and I will love them with all my heart and all my might.  I cannot wait to be a mother and to see a new sunrise from the smile of my babies. 

At the moment, I think I want to have 6 of my own and adopt 2 because the plight of the less fortunate is that of my very own and no child deserves not to live life to the full because of the lack of foresight of his or her parents.

I have decided that I want 4 boys and 2 girls and I have already fallen in love with a few names that I romanticise about calling my little lambs - whom I will accept whether they come in white, grey, pitchblack or flaming pink!

My first:  I want a son whose first name will be Qhawe.  This name means hero or saviour in the South African language, Xhosa.  It is also a term used to hail The Divine.  It is generally given to boys and the feminine of it would be Nomaqhawe.

My second boy:  Khaled/ Khalid is an Arabic name meaning eternal or immortal.  For me, the soul is immortal and this is my connection to the soul.

My third born son:  Akhenaten.  The name is Egyptian, after the pharoah Akhenaten with the meaning "The praise or devotion to Aten".  In ancient Egypt, Aten was the God of the Sun Disk who in himself had two gods: Horus and Ra. Ra being the Rising Sun and Horus being the chariot master who transports The Sun.

My last born: Lesema. I jacked this name from the name my brother wants to name his first born.  It means precious or "of extreme value" in Ronga which is the language of my father.

My first girl: Litha.  This is another Xhosa name meaning "A ray of sunshine".  It is usually a boys name, with the feminine being Nolitha or Lithalethu, the latter meaning "Our ray of sunshine", however, I appreciate the simplicity of Litha.

My second girl:  (Possibly) Assana.  This is an Irish name traditionally awarded to girls, meaning "waterfall".  It reminds me of the constant cleansing and peacefulness of waterfalls and makes me smile inside.

Other names:

Shahar (Girl) - Goddess of the Dawn in Ugarit mythology.
Shalim (Boy) - God of the Dusk - Shahar's twin brother also in Ugarit mythology.
Tafari (Boy)- "He who inspires Awe" in Amharic.
Shanti (Girl) - "Peace", "rest", "calmness", "tranquility", "hot tempered", "bliss" or (in the words of TS Elliot,) "The Peace which passeth understanding." in Sanskrit.
Rudo (Boy/Unisex) - "Love" in Shona.
Ambara (Boy) - "Heaven" in Sanskrit
Seishin O Satori (Unisex) - "Enlightened spirit" in Japanese.
Zongxiàn (Boy) - "Wisdom of the ancestors" in Mandarin

No comments:

Post a Comment